Wiki fractures

brookie311

Best answers
Hi, I have a question about an encounter where the diagnois is a closed fracture and then the procedure being an open fracture and is asking me what would be the correct icd-9-cm and cpt codes for this encounter. I know when the encounter does not mention open or closed fracture then its automatic a closed fracture....but they are wanting the icd-9-cm and the cpt and they are both closed and open???? very confused if you could help me with this I would appreciate it thank you brooke benjamin

Open fracture VS Open TREATMENT

An open fracture is a diagnosis.

Open treatment of a fracture can be used for an open OR a closed fracture.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

The closed fracture is the DX. ICD-9 describes the state of the fracture as open when the bone protrudes the skin or breaks the skin.

CPT Code describes the procedure taken to treat the fracture.

Open treatment is made when a surgery is performed in which the fracture is exposed by an incision made over the fracture and the fractured bone is visualized.

Closed treatment is performed when the doctor repairs the fracture without directly visualizing the fracture.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

ok this seemed like a little help to me but Im still not sure what to code for if the Dx is closed and the cpt is open fracture???? its asking me for the Dx code and the cpt code, and is only giving me four options, and only one is making sence but still confused.??

ok this seemed like a little help to me but Im still not sure what to code for if the Dx is closed and the cpt is open fracture???? its asking me for the Dx code and the cpt code, and is only giving me four options, and only one is making sence but still confused.??

You will use the dx code for a closed fracture of whatever bone is fractured, then the CPT code for open reduction of that fracture - the CPT is not "closed or open fracture" - but closed or open reduction, repair, etc of the fracture in question.

Is this for a test of some type, or homework, since you are saying you have four options?

hi, yes it is for the cpc exam and is one of the questions in the practice exam for cpc. it's giving me 4 multiple A-D answers to choice from....and I have never come across this kind of encounter so just trying to understand how to code this???? thankyou for your input.