Wiki Fracture Treatment

Sara82

Guru
Best answers
If a doctor wanted to charge for a fracture treatment(ex 27786)does he have to do that on the first encounter for the problem?

My Dr saw a patient 03/22(first encounter for the problem) - Charged an OV and application of a cast. No xrays were taken.

Pt came back in on 03/31 for the same problem and xrays were taken, and now for this date of service the Dr wants to charge for the fracture treatment(27786).

Anyone know the answer? I always though it was the first encounter..

i would think it is when they actually applied the casting and the aftercare is the visit thereafter what falls into the followup if they have to do fittings or adjustments in the global period.

I would say it should have been charged on the first visit, but I would read his OV note. If he says it was fractured on that first visit, then it should have been a fracture care.
SWillard

It would have been more logical if the physician had billed for the E/M, X-ray (to see if there was an fracture or maybe a dislocation) and cast application on the first visit. How would he know if the patient had a fracture.