Wiki Fracture Coding

kathy a

Guru
Best answers
I have a few fracture questions and wonder if someone could help with some answers.

If a patient comes to our office as a new patient but was seen in the ER for a fracture can we charge for the new patient office visit and the fracture care? Example-Would we use a dx of arm pain for the office visit, then use the fx dx code for the fracture? Or do we use the fracture code for both and just put the 25 modifier on the visit? Sometimes we have had patients who came from the hospital who didnt have what they were told they have.

On Medicaid patients- they pay only for the office visit or the fracture. Should I only bill for the fracture since it pays more, even though patient is new to our office ?

Our physician may see a patient and diagnose them with a fracture ,but send them for an MRI for a more definitive diagnosis, and for how he will treat this fracture. Can I bill for the office visit,for the closed fracture and then code for the surgery-if performed after-or do I charge for the office visit,wait until the patient comes back from their MRI and code accordingly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Kathy:confused: