Wiki Fracture Care

rcollins

Contributor
Best answers
[Can an Orthopedic physician bill closed fracture care in the office one day and then take the patient to the OR the next day for Open fracture care? There is no documentation that the closed fracture care failed. Can you bill for both? Also where can I find info on fracture care?

Last edited:
[Can an Orthopedic physician bill closed fracture care in the office one day and then take the patient to the OR the next day for Open fracture care? There is no documentation that the closed fracture care failed. Can you bill for both? Also where can I find info on fracture care?

My understanding is if the doctor did not know he was taking the patient in the OR that day in the office then yes you could bill for closed in office then open in OR the next day you just need the appropriate modifer on the open code since it will now be in global.
But in most cases they already know if they are taking a patient to the OR for whatever type of fracture it may be. So if he knew then you can only code for the OR fracture care, and put a 57 modifier on the E/M that was billed the day before. I will try to find more info on this for you.