Wiki For those who work in an OB/GYN office...

MnTwins29

True Blue
Best answers
Can you describe a "typical" day for the types of services provided? Is it mostly E/M visits? Pre-natal visits? Procedures in the office like colposcopies? The reason I am asking is that I am now going to be the compliance officer for several offices in a large practice - and two of them are OB/GYN offices, where I have never coded.

Earlier I had posted a request for good sources for OB/GYN coding, and while they were imfomative, I wondered if that was TMI for the types of services usually peformed.

I am looking for big picture here - it will simply help me focus on what is done in the offices. Thank you in advance for any advice, anecdotes or hints!

Lance

Hi Lance,

In all honesty, it really depends on the Provider make-up of the practice. In my organization each office is very different. Some of the providers are close to retirement and are no longer doing OB, so most of their day is E/M's with Office and Hosp procedures. Some of the physicians are totally OB, and their days consist of nothing but prenatal and post partum visits with a few scattered preventive visits. You also need to look at your patient age population and geographic area as that can effect how many and what type of services you provide.