Wiki follow up on wound coding that's now healed

JesseL

Expert
Best answers
What diagnosis codes would I choose if a patient came in to follow up on a wound that is now healed on the hand. Do I code scar or "open wound hand" and "V67.59" as the primary diagnosis?

What diagnosis codes would I choose if a patient came in to follow up on a wound that is now healed on the hand. Do I code scar or "open wound hand" and "V67.59" as the primary diagnosis?

You would never code the open wound for a follow up and you would not a scar unless specifically documented. Code only the V code for follow up

Can the V follow up code be used with modifier 24 then? Because the patient did do a minor procedure unrelated to the wound.

modifier 24 because the pt had a minor procedure 3 days ago and days before that he came in for an open wound and now he came back with a resolved wound.

So i would think they would deny the v follow up code thinking it was for the minor procedure.

The resolved wound is not a new dx. you will need to be more clear in what the scenario is. Did this patient have 2 procedures 3 days apart? I am unclear as to the issue you need assistance with.
Per your first post you cannot use a wound code for a post op wound check it is a V code. I am not sure what else you are asking.