Wiki Follow-up Fetal echo

kytiekat

New
Best answers
Good afternoon. Can someone provide guidance as to the documentation and components for a Fetal Echo Repeat/ follow-up study (CPT codes 76826 and 76828)? Everything I have researched leads me back to the initial scan components.

Good afternoon. Can someone provide guidance as to the documentation and components for a Fetal Echo Repeat/ follow-up study (CPT codes 76826 and 76828)? Everything I have researched leads me back to the initial scan components.
Per CPT the elements of 76825 include: imaging of the fetus to identify fetal orientation and the fetal cephalic/caudal ends, extremities, and spine; determination of fetal sinus (fetal visceral orientation); evaluation of all parts of the heart, including venous connections, chambers, competence and movement of valves, and great arterial connections; and evaluation of cardiac function with M mode (and/or spectral Doppler when indicated). Therefore the follow-up study (76826) would include some, but not all of these elements. There is no general description for the complete doppler code 76827, but in general you can access the AIUM document on fetal Echo at: http://www.perinatalechoimaging.com/uploads/1/1/5/7/115725371/6_aium_fecho_guidelines_2013.pdf to get an idea of what is expected for both an echo and a doppler procedure. The follow-up is just that, elements are repeated to monitor the progress of the fetus in regards to the fetal heart. A follow-up scan could mean 1 or more elements are tracked and which ones is up to the provider.