Wiki First job

Best answers
I have just gotten certified but all of the jobs I see require experience. I am curious as to how others got their first jobs in this field. Can anyone give me some direction?

First Job

I started out working night shift in the admitting department of a small hospital -- nothing to do with where I wanted to be except it was in the medical field, and it gained me experience -- and got my foot in the door! Good Luck to you.

I've seen post after post after post after post with this very same question here at the AAPC, on LinkedIn, and even in Facebook. While I'm still waiting on my billing/coding job, I can give you the following advice which was given to me....

A foot in the door job!

What I mean is don't limit yourself to a billing/coding position.

If you have no medical experience as I did going into this, your best bet right now is to look for a position as a receptionist, in medical records, in a call center for a medical practice.... Basically, anything in a hospital/medical practice just to gain some sort of medical experience. Once there, you can always remind them that you are very interested in billing/coding.

If you have medical experience, draw off of that during your job search. Highlight that in your resume. Make sure that hospitals/practices know that you already have medical experience which will help them with their billing/coding.

It was also suggested to me that I volunteer for experience. Volunteering (i.e. internship/externship) is a great way to gain needed experience.

Get involved with your LOCAL AAPC CHAPTER. Managers that attend see you willingness to do whatever is needed to get the job done. The networking possibilities are limitless.

The idea is to get your NAME out there. Get your face recognized by everyone. Many jobs never reach a published stage, they are all "recommended" by someone who knows someone.

First Job

Sadly, I know two people with an RHIT (registered health information technology) who expected to earn at least $25 an hour after graduation, and are now working as administrative assistants in other fields making around $12 an hour.
As Pogiest said, get your foot in the door. I've tried to tell these women that even though they aren't starting out as coders if they take almost any other job in the healthcare field it will open doors.
I started out doing insurance precertification and got a reputation as hard working with attention to detail. A nurse I worked with told me about a job opening at a smaller facility doing the same thing. I took that job and within 6 months was promoted to coder. Six years later I'm at my dream job for a children's hospital, working from home.
Don't feel like any job is demeaning, just work hard, and many facilities like to promote employees.
Good Luck!
mdevereaux