Wiki Fee-for-service coding

chuckd1991

Contributor
Best answers
I may have an opportunity to get a job as a fee-for-service coder. Despite having no experience and a CPC-A it sounds like they want to hire me. Does anyone here do fee-for-service coding? If so, could you give me a rundown on exactly what the job entails and how many charges per hour you normally do?

I may have an opportunity to get a job as a fee-for-service coder. Despite having no experience and a CPC-A it sounds like they want to hire me. Does anyone here do fee-for-service coding? If so, could you give me a rundown on exactly what the job entails and how many charges per hour you normally do?

Did they say what they mean by fee-for-service coder? What does the job description say?

Fee for service is a reimbursement methodology - it means that the provider gets paid according to a fee schedule for the services they submit. As opposed to other payment methodologies that provide a bundled rate for all the services on a claim, such as case rate, APC, DRG, etc.

I'm not familiar with what a coding position would be that is specifically labeled as fee for service, but of course different employers sometimes use different titles for different things. My gut instinct would probably be that it is coding professional fees, but I'd need to know what the job description says to be certain.

I agree with sls314, that FFS coder could mean a few different things and I would want to see the job description.

However, I will say, that in my organization, we have FFS coders and HCC/Risk coders, who are looking at different things.

FFS coders, abstract the note and focus on coding the correct CPT and ICD-10 codes, based on the documentation. they code for Medicare and Commercial insurances.

HCC coders either tee-up suspected HCC dx, or review notes to pull HCC dx codes for submission. they code for Medicare Advantage plans, some of which are capitated.