Wiki Facility coding of bone marrow aspiration

DavitaBrannon03

Contributor
Best answers
I need help with the appropriate CPT code that should be included on the claim for an ASC facility. I have found several different codes that I'm not happy with using since they dont describe what was done exaclty. I'm thinking there is a combination of codes that should be used, but am at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here's the scenario:

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Left Achilles tendon insertional calcific tendinosis at the posterior heel.

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Left Achilles tendon insertional calcific tendinosis at the posterior heel.

OPERATIONS PERFORMED: Harvesting of bone marrow aspirate from the left calcaneus for gathering of progenitor cells for injection into the Achilles tendon enthesis and paratenon.

ANESTHESIA: IV sedation with 20 mL of 0.5% Marcaine with 1% lidocaine, no epinephrine mixed 1:1 ratio in a common peroneal block and a high ankle block.

HEMOSTASIS: There was no hemostasis.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was brought to the operating room and placed in the prone position and given a gram of Ancef preoperatively. The left foot and leg were prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner. Attention was directed to the posterolateral heel where percutaneous trocar was placed through the skin into the posterolateral calcaneus and 10 to 15 mL of bone marrow were aspirated out of the calcaneus. This was then centrifuged per Arthrex protocol for extraction of progenitor cells. Additionally, there was platelet-rich protein, which was also drawn from the regular blood drawn by the anesthesiologist from the patient's
arm and this was also added to the progenitor cells. This combination was then diluted with lactated Ringer's and I injected this into the posterior heel at the enthesis throughout the paratenon and then directly into the left Achilles tendon. The trocar site was then dressed with Xeroform gauze, fluff gauze, and then normal surgical dressing and then posterior splint was also placed with a sugar-tong.