Wiki External cause codes for professional reporting

sullivak

Guru
Best answers
Hi,
I'm in a situation where I need to advise an billing company that does professional claims only whether they need to report external cause codes for Emergency Department claims. It's my understanding that e-code reporting requirements differ by state and/or by payer., but I'm having difficulties finding this information.

Could someone point me in a good direction to find more information about professional coding of external cause codes? :confused: I'd really appreciate this.

Thanks!

All I can see if what is in the ICD-10 CM Guidelines

There is no national requirement for mandatory ICD-10-CM external cause code reporting. Unless a provider is subject to a state-based external cause code reporting mandate or these codes are required by a particular payer,reporting of ICD-10-CM codes in Chapter 20, External Causes of Morbidity, is not required. In the absence of a mandatory reporting requirement, providers are encouraged to voluntarily report external cause codes, as they provide valuable data for injury research and evaluation of injury prevention strategies.