Wiki Exploratory Laparoscopy concverted to open sm bowel resection

Best answers
Surgery was started out as a exploratory laparoscopy then decision was made to convert to open with excisoin of small bowel. Seeing as there was no surgical plan for excision prior to the exploration. Can I safely use the 49320 with a mod -59 or -52 with the 44120? When I check in CCI edits it says they are allowed. Just wondered what others are coding in these situations and if payments are being received. I do realize if we started as a lap sm bowel resection and then converted to open I would bill the open with v64.41.

Separate Procedure

Just so you are aware ... if a CPT code is defined as a separate procedure (as is the case for 49320), then you will NOT have a CCI edit. CCI assumes you already know that you can't code this unless it it a stand-alone (i.e. separate) procedure.

So you'll code ONLY for the 44120 and use the V64.41

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

You are correct about the CCI edit with a separate procedure. However, there are exceptions when a "separate procedure" can be coded when other procedures are done in the same session.
According to this article in CCI: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/downloads/modifier59.pdf it is appropriate to use modifier -59 under certain circumstances when a diagnositic procedure is done immediately prior to a therapeutic procedure. If the surgery had stayed a laparoscopy, then definately only the surgical scope could be coded. But, I believe that in this instance it is appropriate to bill for both.