Wiki Explantation of left femoral LISS plate

smsmith

Networker
Best answers
One of my surgeons did this procedure to remove a femoral plate from the site of above the knee amputation. This patient had a previous fracture and had a femoral plate, then later developed complications and had to have the leg amputated. This plate was eroding and where it was wearing throught the thigh, it created an ulcer. Here is an explanation of the surgery:
"An incision was made over the plate that was present in the patient's left lateral femur. Dissection was carried to expose the plate and the screws in the plate. The plate extended significantly up into the proximal thigh. Using specialized screwdrivers, all but 2 of the screws were able to be removed. We then used a special carbide-tip drill bit to remove the head of the other 2 screws, allowing for the explantation of the plate itself. We were able to remove the remaining screws. The wound was then irrigated using a Simpulse device to remove all foreign body from the drilling of the screws......"

I code for general surgeons, and this is a little out of my knowledge base....I appreciate any input on this.

Susan Smith, CPC