Wiki explaining level of care in laymen terms to pt

Gracie123

Best answers
Hello,

any suggestions on how to explain "level of care" in laymen terms to pts? When I go into the key components (hx,exam and mdm) and other factors I lose them. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

When talking to patients, I try to stay away from any technical terms, initially anyway. I first focus on the reason they want to see the doctor (chief complaint), then explain that legally, the doctor is required to have certain documentation to support how they evaluate, and plan to treat their sickness (HPI, Exam, Number of diagnoses/complexity & MDM). "Short and sweet."

If the patient wants more detail, my second approach is to focus on the exam and MDM. Say the patient has a fever, and feels sluggish. I explain that the doctor will take vitals, and ask questions to gain an understanding of how they might have contracted their sickness. Then the doctor will take a look at them physically to determine if their sickness is localized or affecting other parts of their body. The doctor may even have certain tests done to help in the evaluation. Then explain that by doing this, the doctor can determine how to treat their sickness/problem.

I find that by explaining things this way, I can get through the technical stuff without boring the patient too much. :) Now, if I have someone who wants to know the technical stuff, I summarize what I've said above by using the technical terms, and using their sickness as the example. Hope this helps a bit. :)

Last edited:
Maybe just tell them it depends on the complexity of their office visit..
If they had an issue/complaint for coming to see the doctor or just a check up, or if they had any procedures done while they were in such as blood work, x-rays, ekg, etc.
Tell them how little factors that patients dont always realize, play parts in determining the "level of care" for their visit.

I hope that helps you.. :eek: and good luck!