Wiki Excison of sebaceous cyst

dollyleaf5

Contributor
Best answers
The physician did an excision of a sebaceous cyst located on the back of the patients neck, but did not indicate the size in the Op report. When I questioned the doctor, she indicated it was not measured so just go by the pathology report. The path report indicates the specimen is 1.5cmX1.5cmX1.5cm. So for determining the appropriate excision of benign lesion, am I using the 1.5cm or do I multiply the above dimensions together? The physician normally provides the size of lesion + margins, but in this case I am not sure how to code this?

Please assist, Thank you

a skin lesion has usually 3 measurements at the least, length, width, and depth. so this is what the path report is giving you the lengthxwidthxdepth. we code to the largest measurement so since all were the same size you will use 1.5. The only problem is most tissue shrinks by the time the pathologist measures it so your are most likely getting a smaller size than the actual. However if there is no measurement by the surgeon then we have to go by the path report.

I agree with the above post 100%. If the physician has a habit of not measuring the lesions excised, you may want to bring it to their attention that they could be losing money because of the shrinking specimen.