Wiki Excisional debridement with Hernia repair

marycpc

Contributor
Best answers
One of the surgeons did an: Exploratory laparotomy with repair of right strangulated femoral hernia with Bio A plug and a flat Bio A underlay, Excisional debridement and washout of right labia, primary repair of incisional hernia

During this surgery, a partial cecectomy was done. Does anyone know if there is a specific code for that procedure?

I was hoping someone could give my a second opinion on the codes I used for the above described surgery. I used 44799 (partial cecectomy), 49533 (strangulated femoral hernia repair), and 11005 (excisional debridement of necrotizing skin). Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary

Was this for an Appi, if not what's the DX for the cecetomy? Most of time I see this is when they are doing an appi and it that case you could try a -22 on the appi but payer will probably consider "incidental to" for removing margins of appi. If it's for a removal of a lesion, that's an unlisted 44140-52 (52 for no anastomosis) or 44799.

This was not an Appi, the partial cecectomy was done because part of the cecum was strangulated and incarcerated, the Dr also said it was closer to an appendectomy than a partial colectomy (which is what I was thinking) BUT an appendectomy was not performed. So, I guess 44799 it is and a copy of the report.