Wiki Excision Cyst Removal

jifnif

Expert
Best answers
Hi, I am new to surgical coding..:) and i have an excision of a cyst of the back. Would I use a 114 code or the 21930? The report states the dissection is to the fascia and surrounding fat tissues. It does not state extent into the fascia. Any help would be great. Thank you!

21903 pertains only to the Musculoskeletal System, because you state that the disection is only to the fascia you would not use this code. Be sure to read the intoduction to each section which includes the terms with definitions and specific guidelines that apply to each section, at least until you are more familiar.

From the information you give here it looks like something between 11400-11406. Again, be sure that you are familiar with the terms and read the information under the "Excision---Benign Lesions" heading.

Good luck! You were headed down the right path.

Hi, I am new to surgical coding..:) and i have an excision of a cyst of the back. Would I use a 114 code or the 21930? The report states the dissection is to the fascia and surrounding fat tissues. It does not state extent into the fascia. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Yeah I would go with 11400-11406 codes and then depending on how it is documented you could probably code for an intermediate closure 12031-12037 range.