Wiki exams and training to simple

amneske

Guru
Best answers
As someone who took an online class, passed the final with high honors, and then passed the CPC exam first try, i feel i am very prepared for this job. you still have to have 1 years direct coding experience to remove your A from your credential if you have taken 80 hours of coding courses, which must include certain classes such as A&P. I got my firt coding job 2 months after graduation and it was for a cadriologist with 30 physicians. i was coding for inpatient visits, cardiac caths, pacemakers, and EP studies. My employer was VERY satisifed with my performance, and couldnt believe i had never coded in a live enviroment before that position. One year later I have now moved on from that position, and now code for other specialties and am currently studying for the CCS exam, which i plan to take in the fall so i can have the opportunity to code for inpatient. I dont beleive it is necessarily fair to all new coders to never be given a chance. I can agree that there are some who dont code accurately, but as you said there are some who have been in this profession for years who dont either. it really depends on the person and their ability to learn. given the chance many new coders could be great at what they do.

I can understand you not wanting to be grouped with an inability to code based soley on the fact that you went to an online school, but even you must admit that you are not the norm.... I went to a school for a year my class was filled with people who assumed they would finish the class and immediately get a job in coding. Most even thought their first job would be coding from home. I graduated two years ago, passed my CPC my first time got a job in a billing dept and with in a month moved to the coding dept and to this day i am the only one in my graduating group who has a job primarily as a coder. It is my experience that there are lots of schools and classes that don't really care where their students end up and there are lots of students out there that have inaccurate expectations of where the coding field will lead them immediately following whatever class they take. It takes a lot more work to BE a coder than take a test or pass a class. That fact doesn't make anyones education less. Some are more suited than others

coders

I agree, you do have to be suited for it and its not for everyone. I have strong investigational skills and the drive to learn new things, i also have worked in healthcare for 10 years in a different profession, so i think all of that helps with my success. I also know that online classes definately dont teach you everything you need to know. I have learned so much already and continue to learn things that are never talked about, especially insurance wise. One plan wants things one way and another carrier a different way! I applied for a remote coder job recently and during the interview realized I wasnt ready for that. I wanted to work for a larger company with many coders who I could learn from. I think that will make me more successful in the long run because i will build a solid foundation for my coding skills.

Amcarter82, you are wise to realize that you are not ready for remote coding not many would. That's even true of more experienced coders. Build up your network of support. It really helps to have a diverse support system in coding.

We have an awesome coding team where I work. We have very lively coding debates. Actually we pretty much debate everything!! We learn from each other every day and we're a wonderful support system for each other as well.

Good luck to you!

Coding

I went to school for coding, not online but actual classes at a college, I have been working in a Clinic for 5 years now, I am learning new things everyday. Unlike those you have passed the test on there first time. I did not, does this make less of a coder because I did not pass. I hold myself to high standards and really beat myself up when I did not pass. I have never been a good test taker, but I am not letting it get to me. I have the exam scheduled in a couple of weeks. I am enjoying my job and my performance on the job has been good. I am learning new things everyday and I have been asked to do more job responsibilites.

There are good and bad coders on all sides of this profession. There are certified coders that are horrible at this job and there are non certified coders that excel. I teach all over the US and I see both. I have students that will tell me they have been coding for 20 years and are certified but they never use a code book and cannot articulate what to do with an excludes note, and never read the coding guidelines. Sometimes classes teach just enough to pass the test, and then the job dictates how you are to code, such as use only cheat sheets with the most frequently used codes. So just being certified does not make you good, having performed the function of coder for x number of years does not make you good. You are a good coder if you are a conscientious coder, if you always use a code book, never code from memory, always check your CCI edits, know the coding guidelines like the back of your hand, and never code the same scenario differently depending on the patient's payer. The change to ICD-10 CM is going to affect those that have not used a code book in awhile, those that depend onthe software to tell you the dx code, or a cross coding program. I could go on, but I I will get off my box now as I think you will get the point.

Interesting topic

I do enjoy this topic of conversation. I think its great to hear all sides of this conversation. I think that managers have a tough deal trying to figure out which people to hire and who the best coders would be. I know that most employers where I live want their coders to be certified before they would even consider them for a position. And as ICD-10 approaches I believe that will become even more so. But I also agree that just being certified does not make a great coder.

There are good and bad coders on all sides of this profession. There are certified coders that are horrible at this job and there are non certified coders that excel. I teach all over the US and I see both. I have students that will tell me they have been coding for 20 years and are certified but they never use a code book and cannot articulate what to do with an excludes note, and never read the coding guidelines. Sometimes classes teach just enough to pass the test, and then the job dictates how you are to code, such as use only cheat sheets with the most frequently used codes. So just being certified does not make you good, having performed the function of coder for x number of years does not make you good. You are a good coder if you are a conscientious coder, if you always use a code book, never code from memory, always check your CCI edits, know the coding guidelines like the back of your hand, and never code the same scenario differently depending on the patient's payer. The change to ICD-10 CM is going to affect those that have not used a code book in awhile, those that depend onthe software to tell you the dx code, or a cross coding program. I could go on, but I I will get off my box now as I think you will get the point.

Well said.
I do, however, understand the frustration of the original poster.