Wiki Exam Portion Help

Best answers
We use 1997 guidelines first of all.

This is an example of what I see:
Physical Exam:

Constitutional:
No acute distress. Well nourished.

Integumentary:
The following areas were examined by inspection and/or palpation and found to be normal except as noted in the significant findings below: head / face, neck, chest, abdomen, back, left upper extremity, right upper extremity, scalp / hair and eccrine / apocrine glands.

Exam Description
L axilla and R axilla: flesh colored pedunculated papules.
L and R axilla: erythematous sharply demarcated patches with peripheral scale.
L shoulder: multiple brown plaques

Psychiatric:
The patient is oriented to time, place, person, and situation

Can someone please help me determine the level of exam? Then could you explain WHY it is that level to me so I understand it better?

I'm having a hard time figuring this portion of the e/m coding out. Thank you!

Do you use the General Multi-System Exam or the Single Organ System Exam? This looks like a Dermatology exam and there is a Single Organ System Exam for skin. CMS has a guide to E/M services. http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu.../downloads/eval_mgmt_serv_guide-ICN006764.pdf Maybe this will help you.

Under the Genreal Multi-System Exam this would come out to problem focused (four bullets genreal appearance, psych, and two for skin)

Under the Skin Exam this would be Expanded Problum Focused (10 bullets)

Last edited:
I have portions of that book printed out, and primarily I try to use this...

http://emuniversity.com/PDF/Specialty_Exam_Dermatology.pdf

The catch is...I'm not 100% sure how to count on this. When I count the above, I get 11 bullets.

Constitutional
Psychiatric
head / face,
neck
chest
abdomen
back
left upper extremity
right upper extremity
scalp / hair
eccrine / apocrine glands

I'm also coming up with Expanded Problem Focused, but I feel like I still don't have a good understanding of how to count.