Wiki Evidentiary Blood Draws in the ER

Sueedwards

True Blue
Best answers
Hello,
I am curious as to how other facilities are handling these blood draws in the ER...

There are two different questions I have:

1. The police bring in a patient and their own blood draw kit, register the patient in the ER and the ER staff draw the blood. What do you charge?

2. The police bring in the patient and register the patient and the hospital staff draws the blood and sends off the labs. What do you charge?

I am questioning... I charge facility for each of these, but the ER staff is arguing with me stating we should not charge for either. I am wondering if I should be making the MD do a check on the patient and/or template on the patient for one, or from reading on the ACEP website that they do not have to..... so I was wondering how "others" are doing this.

PLEASE..... any and all responses are welcome!!!!
thank you!!!!

We only charge for the resources on the facility side 99281.TR. But this is because the site we are coding facility charges for specifically is requesting any labs, meds, etc done in triage be coded to a low level with the TR modifier for those visits where pt left without being seen, left without treatment, or left ama and/or there was no physician involvement. So, if your facility is requesting no charges for these visits, then I would venture to say, no charge or void chart. It is really up to the client.