Wiki ESRD in pt with no kidneys?

JenHuskisson

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Can you still code ESRD even though the patient has had both kidneys removed due to Cancer? I can see coding for the dialysis (V45.11) but I am not finding anything to support coding the ESRD (585.6). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You code a condition as long as it is present. I'm curious-if both kidneys have been removed, is the patient waiting for a transplant?

no you can not code ESRD in this scenario since patient does not have any of the kidney. But you can code Dialysis. also assign V code for absence of organ.

Abhishek rane.

Unfortunately, there is no documentation that the patient is on a transplant list. Pt had bladder cancer (bladder has also been removed) that metastasized to the Kidneys (both removed). From what I've read, since pt has had cancer, they are not eligible for transplant. Not sure if that is completely true or not.

Thanks for the input. I agree that yes I would code the dialysis and the V-codes for the history of kidney cancer and for the kidney removal. My provider diagnosed the ESRD and so it threw me off.

Thanks again! :)