Wiki ERCP Coding

bbeatty

Networker
Best answers
When the Dr does a balloon sweep for stones, is this coded with 43271 (balloon dilatation) or just 43264 (removal of calculi)? Also, if he does the balloon sweep but no stones are found, can I still bill this since he attempted? Thanks in advance for your help!

43264, if stones are found and removed, otherwise 43271

according tothe AAPC Specialty Study Guide Gastroenterology 2007 pg 76:

"During an ERCP, your gastrenterologist extracts 4 stones from the pt's pancreatic duct using a basket technique.

The basket technique.....

To report this procedure you should use 43264. You should submit a single unit of 43264, regardless of the number of calculi the physician extracts. And you would stick with this code if the gastroenterologists uses a balloon to remove stoes rather than a basket.

Warning: You might be tempted to report 43271 in addition to 43264, but you shouldn't because there's no ductal dilation when the physician removes calculi, even if she uses a balloon during the procedure."

Now I have all kinds of other books for gastro and I don't see anything like this anywhere else, but I also don't see anything that would negate the previous statement either.

Last edited: