Wiki Epidural steroid injections

steph2355

Networker
Best answers
I need some help:

How would I code this;

Caudal Epidural Steroid injection w/Raz catheter?

Thanks.

Look at the procedure note and see if there is reference to a single injection (62311) or if the medication was delivered over a period of time like an epidural infusion 62319

sorry, first let me clarify my above comment, that is cpt 62264 if neurolytic agent was used, if not used, it would be 62319 for caudal

Fluoroscopy (for localization) may be used in the placement of injections reported with 62310 - 62319, but is not required. If used, fluoroscopy should be reported with 77003. For epidurography, use 72275

Above is from AMA CPT Assistant, which states that fluoroscopy guidance is not required. You could review the Medicare carrier's LCD you are billing and the private payers medical policy to double check their stance. I don't recall seeing information in an LCD or medical policy on ultrasound guided epidurals.

It depends on whether or not the cath was left in after the injection was done. If the cath was removed right after, then 62311 would be correct. If it was left in for continuous infusion or intermittent bolus, then 62319.

For 72275, that can be billed separately, but you would need a complete and separate radiology report to support the epidurography.

Fluoroscopy however doesn't need a separate imaging report as it's just guidance. Billing for the physician is fine, however if you're billing for a facility it may be included in the facility fee, especially common for ASC's, which is where a lot of epidurals are done.

I am kinda surprised that they haven't made fluoro a required component, because I've done some research and according to a lot of studies in 1/3 of all epidurals that do not use flouroscopy, the medication is misplaced...essentially the doctor misses 1 out of every 3 times they don't have some form of guidance. Loss of resistance is great but it's no match for actually seeing where the needle is.