Wiki Entering surgeries into EPIC

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
Our company recently switched to EPIC. I have surgery charges that I need to enter into EPIC, but no one can tell me how to enter surgery charges as an "outpatient" vs "inpatient".

Our training never covered this topic and so far no one seems to know the answer.

Can anyone tell me how to designate a surgery as outpatient in EPIC?

Thanks.

Are you using one of the manual entry activities like Batch Charge Entry, PB Charge Entry, or Unit Charge Entry to enter professional charges? Generally when you choose the POS you should be able to select the appropriate location which will start with IP or OP followed by the facility name.

Are you using one of the manual entry activities like Batch Charge Entry, PB Charge Entry, or Unit Charge Entry to enter professional charges? Generally when you choose the POS you should be able to select the appropriate location which will start with IP or OP followed by the facility name.
I'm entering the surgeon's charges and doing it in unit charge entry. I know in Athena you can choose the facility with inpatient and outpatient. I'll have to look for that in EPIC.

Our company recently switched to EPIC. I have surgery charges that I need to enter into EPIC, but no one can tell me how to enter surgery charges as an "outpatient" vs "inpatient".

Our training never covered this topic and so far no one seems to know the answer.

Can anyone tell me how to designate a surgery as outpatient in EPIC?

Thanks.
Don't you just love when you completely know HOW to code something and then some minor computer problem (or major computer problem) prevents you from doing so??? Sorry I can't assist, but I am certainly following this thread as my organization is switching to EPIC in about a year.

I'm entering the surgeon's charges and doing it in unit charge entry. I know in Athena you can choose the facility with inpatient and outpatient. I'll have to look for that in EPIC.
I only use PB Charge Entry for entering those charges - but I just had a search out of curiousity and found Unit Charge Entry.

When I went into it I had to select a specific patient and encounter and when it opened the session it was labled Charge Router Charge Entry. And it appears to pull the POS from the selected encounter - there was no option to change it. It was just giving the generic location, not specified as IP/OP. Are you required to enter them using this charge entry?

In Unit Charge Entry you should have an option at the top that says Create an Encounter, rather than selecting one of the existing encounters. This allows you to enter in the POS if it doesn't match one that exists. Feel free to message me if you need more help.