Wiki Endoscopic converted to open

SirCodesAlot07

Networker
Best answers
I am having a little bit of a hard time with coding this report. My doctor wants me to code endoscopic since he still had to open the blade but I disagree. He converted to open therefore you only code open, correct? How would you code this report? Also he performed an excision of a cyst. Should I code that separately?

Incision made transversely at the wrist crease. The forearm fascia was elevated. We carefully dissected and released the forearm fascia proximally, distally it was tagged. Subsynovial dissection was performed. We dilated the canal and placed the endoscope. We could see the endoscope was not tight necessarily, but the median nerve was scarred to the radial flap. We therefore released it proximally with the endoscope and did not feel that it was safe to go distally and converted to an open. An extensile incision was then made. We carefully elevated skin flaps. Electrocautery was used for hemostasis. We dissected down to the transverse carpal ligament and carefully released it. We then mobilized the median nerve off of the radial flap. We carefully dissected and released the scar around the median nerve. We removed the synovium from around the tendons on the radial and ulnar side. There was a significant narrowing of the median nerve right where the scarring occurred. We released the tourniquet to see if it pinked up and it pinked up a little bit, but not normally. Wounds were irrigated. They were closed with 5-0 nylon horizontal mattress sutures. A dorsal incision was made over the ganglion cyst dorsally. We dissected down, opened up the fourth extensor compartment. The long finger extensor tendon had an intratendinous cyst. We opened up the tendon longitudinally and excised the cyst and frayed tendon that was inside the tendon. We then repaired the tendon with a 6-0 locking suture. Tourniquet was never elevated during this part. Wounds were irrigated and closed with 5-0 nylon horizontal mattress suture. Adaptic gauze, Webril, volar wrist splint, and Ace wraps applied. The patient tolerated the procedure well and went to the recovery room in stable condition.

1. If a procedure is started arthroscopically and finished open, it is coded using the open procedure code only. In such a case, assign diagnosis code V64.43 Arthroscopic surgical procedure converted to open procedure to report the arthroscopic component.
For example, a patient presents with intra-articular fracture of the distal radius. The surgeon attempts arthroscopic reduction of the fracture fragments after synovial debridement for visualization. The surgeon finds the fragments are not sufficiently mobile for arthroscopic reduction, and converts to an open reduction and internal fixation of the three distal radial fragments. CPT? coding is 25609 Open treatment of distal radial intra-articular fracture or epiphyseal separation; with internal fixation of 3 or more fragments. The arthroscopic attempt at reduction and synovectomy for visualization is included in the open completion of that procedure, as indicated by V64.43, which also is reported

For certain procedures if the physician cannot complete the procedure through the arthroscope and an open procedure is performed, you list the open procedure code as primary & code the diagnostic arthroscopy code with modifier 51. I'm not sure if this rule applies to your procedure though.