Wiki EMR printout manually signed

arizona1

Best answers
Good Afternoon,

If an EMR record has not yet been authenticated/locked by the provider but prints out the record and manually signs.

Would this be an accepted signed document by itself.

Thank you

You could scan the signed document and file it in the appropriate folder in the EMR as proof that the physician signed. But then you would have to ensure it is legible. Also, what are your practice's policies for closing a record? If those state that the physican needs to electronically sign all documents, then that has to be addressed as well.

thank you for your reply.

would you have any guideline to reference can accept a handwritten signature on an EMR.

reason for question is that an EMR unsigned is not yet "completed" without the authorization - likely a password to lock and secure the entry. But if have a print out signed and dated could be supported by itself.

thank you

accepted signatures are either hand-written or electronic. And per compliance, a claim cannot be billed out to an insurance carrier until the record is signed by the rendering provider. My question is why the dr is not electronically signing a note in the EHR and choosing the hand sign... Hopefully he is not charting and having a staff person log in as him and sign off on his charting = Fraud. I may be alittle confused as to your original question... ???

Thank you.

The original question was whether or not the printout [of an unsigned EMR record] hand signed by the provider can be used to review and assign ICD-9 codes.

I also question why the EMR itself was not authenticated/signed.

In the conversation some were of the belief that the printout hand signed and dated by the provider would be an acceptable record to review for diagnoses/ICD-9 codes submissions. - a stand-alone.

And that if any changes were made to the EMR record it would stand by itself with the EMR signature and date.

The big question ~ Would this printout be a stand-alone and can be used or would it be questioned in an audit - why the printout for the same encounter is separately signed and/or the content may differ from the EMR record.

Thank you.