Wiki EMG/NCS question

MiMimed

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

Hoping someone can clarify something for me.

Doctor did both EMG & NCS and no questions on that coding. However, he also did a "comparison test" on the LT median/ulnar - Sensory Palm and RT median/ulnar - Sensory Palm. The codes we are not concerned with were LT & RT median motor (APB), LT & RT ulnar (ADM), LT & RT median D2 sensory (2nd digit) & LT & RT ulnar sensory (5th digit). I believe the "comparison test" should not be billed separately as "palm" was listed under the LT & RT D2 sensory (2nd digit). Anyone more versed than me in this specialty agree/disagree?

***added 9/12/2017*** All I am looking to find out is if the physician is able to bill for "comparison" testing?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Per CPT Appendix J, sensory nerve conduction testing of the median palmar mixed nerve and the ulnar palmar mixed nerve are considered to be separate tests from the Median to second digit and Ulnar to fifth digit testing. I would clarify with the physician that the median / ulnar comparison testing was separate from the individual digit testing, but likely there will be 4 additional NCS tests to count.

Per CPT Appendix J, sensory nerve conduction testing of the median palmar mixed nerve and the ulnar palmar mixed nerve are considered to be separate tests from the Median to second digit and Ulnar to fifth digit testing. I would clarify with the physician that the median / ulnar comparison testing was separate from the individual digit testing, but likely there will be 4 additional NCS tests to count.

Thank you! Appreciate your input.