Wiki Electronic Signatures

michedv50

Contributor
Best answers
Hello All,

I need a little help. Can anyone tell me if the guidelines for an EMR signature have changed for 2015. Is it still a MUST for a signature to be "password protected and used exclusively by the individual physician (provider)". I am told that that rule has changed to now being a suggestion for a provider to consult an attorney for guidance in protecting the medical record. I have searched everywhere and the later is what I have found. The exact verbiage is just below.

Medicare Program Integrity Manuel? 3.3.2.4 ? Signature Requirements

?Providers using electronic systems need to recognize that there is a potential for misuse or abuse with alternate signature methods. For example, providers need a system and software products that are protected against modification, etc., and should apply adequate administrative procedures that correspond to recognized standards and laws. The individual whose name is on the alternate signature method and the provider bear the responsibility for the authenticity of the information for which an attestation has been provided. Physicians are encouraged to check with their attorneys and malpractice insurers concerning the use of alternative signature methods.?

Help?

Thank you!

Michele L. Davis, CPC, CPC-I
AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM Trainer
Clinical Performance Manager
Arizona Connected Care
5395 E. Erickson Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85712
(520)324-1229 Desk
(520)981-7537 Cell
(520)324-1367 Fax