Wiki EKG/ECG Interpretation and Report by Non-Physician Provider

Arspurg

New
Best answers
Hello,

I'm needing clarification on EKG Interpretation and Reports that are performed by non-physician providers. All of my research suggests that to qualify for 93000/93010, the interpretation and report is reportable is physicians only. Separate from the lay description in my coding lookup reference, and Medicare Billing Manuals, does anyone have an authoritative source that can confirm this?

Thank you,
Aryn S.

I have always followed this principal as well. When I worked in private sector, that was their policy; all EKG reads had to be completed by an MD or DO. I was in IHS (Indian Health Services-which is a governmental program) for the past 6 years and their policy was the mid-levels could read the EKGs, provided it was in their scope of practice and they had adequate training to do so. So I'm not sure if it is based on the policy of the facility or if there is actually something out there that says that. I have not been able to find it documented anywhere that mid-levels can read EKGs.

I have always followed this principal as well. When I worked in private sector, that was their policy; all EKG reads had to be completed by an MD or DO. I was in IHS (Indian Health Services-which is a governmental program) for the past 6 years and their policy was the mid-levels could read the EKGs, provided it was in their scope of practice and they had adequate training to do so. So I'm not sure if it is based on the policy of the facility or if there is actually something out there that says that. I have not been able to find it documented anywhere that mid-levels can read EKGs.
Thank you for your response. I believe we were able to get a definitive answer from AAFP contributor. She states "If they are using the EKG results/inter as part of their MDM, it is from a report that a physician generated. If there is no report then there is no review by a QHP." Reasoning for the rule she indicated is due to "Many false positives were found to be done by non-physicians so this regulatory rule was updated in 2004."

It's a step closer, but I would still like to know where to find this regulatory rule documented as a source reference.