Wiki EKG - data points

MnTwins29

True Blue
Best answers
When the MD reviews/orders an EKG, and the audit tool lists tests for labs/radiology/medicine section of CPT, does everyone do what I do and use the "medicine" part for one data point? I feel like it is cheating - but since 9300x IS under "Medicine"...

Just like to know that I have been correct all these years....

Thanks.

When the MD reviews/orders an EKG, and the audit tool lists tests for labs/radiology/medicine section of CPT, does everyone do what I do and use the "medicine" part for one data point? I feel like it is cheating - but since 9300x IS under "Medicine"...

Just like to know that I have been correct all these years....

Thanks.

That is exactly how I've been doing it...without even a second thought... :)

Absolutely. Hey it's not cheating if it's how they designed it! The MDM calculation rules seem a bit arbitrary and contrived, but it's the best way I've seen to reliably score the overall complexity of the medical decision making.

Another one I see frequently is a pulse oximetry. I'ts often part of the vitals in the physical exam, but a pulse oximetry is a test in the medicine section, so I count it as long as the provider reviewed it.

Absolutely. Hey it's not cheating if it's how they designed it! The MDM calculation rules seem a bit arbitrary and contrived, but it's the best way I've seen to reliably score the overall complexity of the medical decision making.

Another one I see frequently is a pulse oximetry. I'ts often part of the vitals in the physical exam, but a pulse oximetry is a test in the medicine section, so I count it as long as the provider reviewed it.

I agree with Mike. I credit the pulse oximetry towards the complexity of data for MDM. Our MAC (Palmetto) has guidance on this.

Jurisdiction 11 Part B

When scoring documentation for E/M services, can a review or order of a pulse oximetry reading be counted as a vital sign under constitutional?

Answer:

No. Pulse oximetry is not considered a vital sign. However, pulse oximetry is listed as a CPT 9xxxx series. If a physician reviews and/or orders a pulse oximetry, credit will be applied to the complexity of data portion of medical decision-making.
Resources: CMS 1995 & 1997 E/M Guidelines

last updated on 06/10/2013

Thanks for the reference, Rebecca. I have read that - after that, I always gave the pulse ox one data point. Guess I didn't ask about that one since unlike the EKG, I didn't have that "doubting Thomas" moment.