Wiki EGD w/EUS w/cold forcep biopsies

ssmith955

Contributor
Best answers
Physician performs EGD with endoscopic ultrasound to the second portion of the duodenum, biopsies are taken with cold forceps in the esophagus due to mucosal changes. I have been billing 43259 for the EUS and 43239/59 for biopsied with cold forceps, of course the 43239/59 is being denied. My issue with the EUS codes with biopsies is that the description states Fine Needle Aspiration/Biopsy, aspirate or biopsy a mass. There is no clear definition in these cpt codes for how the biopsy of the mass was taken. Provider clearly used cold forceps to bx the mass not FNA. I do not want to cheat provider out of services that were clearly performed nor do I want to be billing inappropriately for the services. Please help to clarify the coding issue on EUS w EGD/bx. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated and if other GI coders have this same issue please relay how your office codes these. Thank you

I don't code a lot of EUS/bx anymore since I started coding for peds GI. I can tell you when I used to, that is the way I sent them in (43259/43239-59). It's been about a year, but I don't remember having problems getting both paid. You or your A/R dept. may have to start appealing. These are two separate procedures and sometimes, but not always, have different indications for each procedure.

EGD w/cold forcep bx and EUS

Thank you for your input. I have been billing the same 43239/59 and 43259. Just wanted to clarify that I am posting correctly.