Wiki Effusion after right knee arthroscopy

LLRodgers

Best answers
Can anyone help me.

Patient is in the Global Period and had a FU and has a knee Effusion and they injected the knee.

Should I code a complication code with a Z98.890 and a 99024? I am not sure what complication code to use and do I code the injection or is this part of the surgery and does not get coded?

Is this part of the pain management in a Global Period.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
LLR

Knee effusions following arthroscopic surgery are quite common, in fact not having one is rare. As for the treatment by injection or aspiration & injection, the rationale for this should be clearly documented in the office note. The presence of an effusion is not necessarily an indication for the procedure. There should be some indication for the procedure, i.e. medical necessity. "Excessive postoperative pain" may be an indication if it is felt that the pain is due to the effusion, and that aspirating and/or injecting the joint would relieve the pain, i.e. pain management. There are reasons other than pain for doing this procedure postoperatively, but you brought it up in your query. But, the documentation has to be there to support it.
As for diagnosis codes, I would recommend M96.89: Other post-procedural complication &/or disorder of a musculoskeletal system/procedure, which has the Coding Note of Use Additional Code to indicate the disorder. This is much more specific than Z98.890 since it pertains to the musculoskeletal system. Then you can add
M25.46 _ for the Knee Effusion, the disorder/complication. If this was done for Pain Management, then you could add G89.18 for Other Acute Post-procedural Pain. This would be an adjunct code to help clarify the reason for the procedure.
As for the procedure/management codes, the 99024 would be correct since it is a postoperative follow up visit in the global period. There are several possible Modifiers that could be used, and I am not sure which is the best: 57: Decision for Surgery (Procedure) since the surgeon probably advised the injection and the patient consented;
58: Related procedure during the postoperative period by same physician; or 78: Unplanned return to procedure room for related procedure in the postoperative period, i.e. aspiration &/or injection of the knee joint. Finally there is 20610: Aspiration &/or Injection of the Knee Joint.
This is how I would approach this, but it would be interesting to see what others say. I hope this helps.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com

Thank you so much for responding it is very much appreciated.

Have an Amazing Day!
LLR

http://www.hcpro.com/HOM-246292-816...ng-the-global-period-for-minor-surgeries.html

Peace
@_*
This link is dated 2010 but I find it odd that the example shown advises to use two E/M codes. I would think that the 24 modifier covers the E/M level and would not necessitate adding 99024. That said, if there is no E/M assessed for the post-op visit, then you could could for aspiration 20610-79-(lt or rt) along with the discussed diagnoses. There is a chance the payor would deny because the surgery was done on the same knee.

My response to this query is based on the information provided initially by Ms. Rogers, which indicated to me that the knee with the effusion that was injected was the same knee that had surgery. As such, since this occurred within the Global postoperative time frame, I think the 99024 is still correct, plus a Modifier of choice as listed. If however, the patient came in during the postoperative Global period with an effusion of the opposite (not operated upon) knee, then an appropriate E&M code with Modifier 24 would be appropriate since the procedure (aspiration/injection 20610) was not related directly to the follow up for the operated upon knee, but was a separate problem. But, since the original reason for the visit was postop follow up within the global period, and is documented as such, then 99024 still needs to be in the list of codes.

Sincerely, Alan Pechacek, M.D.