Wiki ED Facility E/M point system

tlccovert

Contributor
Best answers
Our facility is relooking at the system that is currently being used to calculate the ED facility E/M code. Does anyone out there have any point systems that they use.

Point Systems

Since there are still no standard ED facility level guidelines, there are a number of coding systems including point systems. All approaches have plusses and minuses. Point systems can be a bit inflexible say compared to the ACEP guidelines. But they might be better suited for coders lacking ED experience (as long as they are good at math!).

If you google ED Facility Levels Coding systems you should find examples of point sytems. Also I covered a few facility ED level approaches in a two part article I did for AAPC a few years ago. I'm guessing they are still in the archives. If all else fails you can contact me privately.

Why is the hospital lookin to change? Often the issue is not so much the system as documentation or coder inexperience.

Jim Strafford

Hello,
our facility changed our point system on the facility side over a year ago, and it is a big change. We went from 5, 10, 15 points to just counting interventions. It made it such an easy transition.

You can also email me if you have questions....

Thanks, Sue