Wiki Ear Effusion Reading-CPT?

dreampeddler

Best answers
Hi Everyone!

And thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

A child presented at his PCC and was diagnosed with: 388.70 OTALGIA UNSPECIFIED. The doctor billed an E&M along with unlisted code (92700) for the ear effusion reading that was done.

Is this reading separately reimbursable? If so, is there a more specific CPT code for the service?

Thanks!
Jodie

That's ok, I've been in ENT for over 20 yrs and never heard of an "effusion reading" ! LOL! Perhaps your office performed a tympanometry (92567) with the results indicating fluid behind the ear drum?

Jennifer
CT ENT

Here's the medical record!

You ladies cracked me up this morning. I'm glad I'm not the only one completely baffled. I don't do a lot of work with ENT services as it is! I got this, with the request for that code, and was like...HUH?

Examination
GENERAL: On exam he is awake, alert in no acute distress.
HEENT: No drainage from the eyes. He does have some dark circles under the eyes. Tympanic membranes look benign. There is no bulging. No erythema. Ear effusion reading right 82 somewhat low, left normal at 107. Oral cavity and pharynx benign, with a slightly pebbly appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall. No erythema or exudate.
NECK: Supple. Slightly increased but nontender submandibular nodes. No other cervical adenopathy palpated.
CHEST: With good breath sounds anteriorly and posteriorly. No wheezing or rales. HEART: Regular rate and rhythm. No significant murmur.
Procedures
• Ear effusion reading
Assessment
1. Otalgia
2. Otitis media, acute serous

Ok, did they do a tympanometry with a hand held or did they just take his tempurature in each ear? I am confused, can you ask what they used to take this reading?

Jennifer
CT ENT