Wiki E/M with an ARNP

mnmurray

New
Best answers
Hello,
I'm doing the physician coding for trauma surgeons in a hospital. We've recently hired an ARNP. My question is: If the ARNP does an inpatient daily visit and the physican doesn't sign off on the note, can it still be coded?

From what I know, it is NOT unless the physician signs it. The ARNP was telling me that it is still codeable but it would not get the full reimbursement. Which doesn't make sense because how would the insurance know that the physician didn't sign the note unless there were under an audit or something.

Can someone please give me some clarity on this.
Thanks

Frist of all, depending on your state, ARNPs can be credentialled by payers, with their own billing numbers, and submit claims under their own name. These payers don't require co-signatures by physicians (although your facility might). And they can provide E&M services and procedures that are within the scope of their practice.

Typically reimbursement is 15% less for ARNPs (and PAs) than physician fee schedules. No modifier is required for credentialled mid-level services in this case.

However: Incident-to services are not billable to Medicare in the inpatient setting. http://www.cms.gov/mlnmattersarticles/downloads/SE0441.pdf

You also may not bill for services that are bundled into the surgical global days. I see that you code for a trauma surgeon. If your NPP is rounding following a surgery with 10- or 90-day global period, you cannot bill additionally for that.