Wiki e & m STRUGGLE

I would recommend EM University (https://emuniversity.com/). They offer are reasonably priced options, the courses are well-structured and explain the concepts clearly and understandably. I took their courses when I moved into a new job a few years ago that required advanced E&M knowledge, and it was a really big help.

E/M detailed exam

We are having a discussion within in my department regarding a detailed exam and how much need to be detailed. Can anyone give me any guidance what constitutes as a detailed exam? If there is any documentation to what constitutes a detailed exam can someone guide me to it so I can take it back to my department for education?
I would greatly any appreciate any help I can get.
Thank you

E&M detailed exam

We are having a discussion within in my department regarding a detailed exam and how much need to be detailed. Can anyone give me any guidance what constitutes as a detailed exam? If there is any documentation to what constitutes a detailed exam can someone guide me to it so I can take it back to my department for education?
I would greatly any appreciate any help I can get.
Thank you

Unfortunately your question has no easy answer. Here's my take on tackling the problem
For a start, all MAC'a have there own guidelines and many of those are vague. My client has set their own guidelines which is great (for me as an auditor) and they can do this, simply because there are no black and white guidelines out there from their MAC. They state that a detailed exam comprises 2-7 BA's/OS's with at least one, pertinent to the presenting problem, documented in detail. For 'detail' they use the bullets from the '97 DG's multisystem exam and require that at least half the bullets from a pertinent system are documented. CV for example has 7 bullets, so 4 of those need to be documented to qualify as a detailed exam, assuming that CV is pertinent to the presenting problem. For someone who presents with a rash, the CV would not be pertinent but skin obviously would be. Since there are only 2 skin bullets, a detailed exam is almost inevitable. Since this is a client-specific guideline you may not want to use it though.
Novitas (MAC for DC, NJ, PA and a couple of other states) use the 4X4 rule which requires documentation of 4 findings in 4 BA's/OS's and again there needs to be some relevance to the presenting problem. This method reduces the variability of deciding what is detailed versus EPF.
Sometimes coders and auditors use 'clinical inference' aka clinical judgement when giving credit for a detailed exam if these guidelines are not met exactly....in other words, all situations have a bit of give and take and are addressed on an individual basis.
So, no simple answer. Check out your relevant MAC's website and see what they say. Some are vague, but Novitas does a good job to make it clear and (relatively) simple.
Hope this helps a little.