Wiki E/M specialty certification

FDRAPER

Best answers
Does anyone know of an accredited school that offers course to fine tune E/M coding skills? I am a CPC, but have recently began working for PCP's & would like obtain additional training so I can navigate all the rules/regs in order to maximize reimbursement & minimize errors for our practice.

E/M University.com ?

I'm not certain about accredited schools.

I suggest that you look at www.EMUniversity.com. My mentor pointed this out as a place to both brush up on E/M coding and get CEUs. They offer a free lesson (1 CEU) that you can complete, sort of a test drive. For $99, coders get 90-day access to all of their online lessons. If you did all of them, you'd earn up to 30 CEUs. At $3.30/CEU this is one of the more cost-effective paid options.

In addition, you can subscribe to their free newsletter, each issue of which has a E/M coding question complete with a linked video that walks you through properly analyzing the situtation.

CEMC Certification: The other thing you can do is purchase the materials to study for the CEMC (Certified E/M Coder) designation. Click on the banner add at the top of this page, it takes you directly to details concerning the CEMC test and study materials.

Best wishes on your quest.

Last edited:
CMS references

In addition to Ron's great suggestion of E & M University and the study guide, check out the reference material specific to E & M on the CMS website. Be sure to read the 95 and 97 documentation guidelines - that is a great reference to what are the requirements - and you are allowed to bring them to the exam!

Lance,

Clarification: You can bring them (for CPC & CPC-H, at least) only if you've transcribed them into your CPT manual. Separate E/M grids are not permitted for those 2 exams.

At my testing session, last month, those taking one of the other exams (perhaps CIRCC) could use such a grid but had to turn it in with the completed exam.

Thanks,

CEMC exam

Sorry if I wasn't clear - when I stated that the 1995 and 1997 guidelines may be taken to the exam, that was for the CEMC exam. Since the original question was about E/M speciality, I had assumed that was the exam that was being discussed. You are absolutely correct about CPC/CPC-H.

Actually, Lance is correct. You may bring the E/M guidelines for the CEMC exam. Taken directly from the AAPC website...

Approved Manuals for Use During Examination

Required References:
CPT® Books (AMA standard or professional edition ONLY). No other publisher is allowed
Your choice of ICD-9-CM
Your choice of HCPCS Level II
Highly Recommended References:
E/M Audit Worksheet of your choice
Both CMS DGs (1995 & 1997) Optional References:
One reference of your choice

Last edited:
Sorry if I wasn't clear - when I stated that the 1995 and 1997 guidelines may be taken to the exam, that was for the CEMC exam. Since the original question was about E/M speciality, I had assumed that was the exam that was being discussed. You are absolutely correct about CPC/CPC-H.

Lance, my goof. Your assumption of context was most reasonable. The CPC exam was in the front of my brain when I arrived at this thread. I need to remember to do a mental reset between threads.

Thanks,

You are also allowed to take in an e/m audit tool of your choice, with up to 50 copies of it, which is what I did when I took mine. You're also allowed 1 other reference book (per approved list provided by the AAPC). Good luck!!