Wiki E/M Positions

Maryst

Networker
Best answers
I have a question. Most of my job experiance is in E/M (5+ years. Now that I am looking for a remote position I am finding different companies do it different. The HPI (Detail vs Comprehensive 95) and the MDM. It is like it is all up to your own interpretation. Does anyone know of a training I can take in person to help me? I have the training offered by the AAPC but that is not helpful for me because I understand the basics. I have questions and I cannot ask question on the AAPC training.

You can use 95 or 97 whichever give you a higher level. Unless the payer has any additional requirements.

Last edited:
Subjectivity

Despite 95/7 guidelines and all the documentation about E&M coding that is out there, there is still some variance among coding entities. Some are simply more aggressive then others. The bottom line should be medical necessity. If your company isn't factoring that into levels, it could be a real issue. But if they have a few nuances but stay within the guidelines it might be worth learning their approach.
I have a seminar called "Common Sense ED Levels Coding" I put it together because of all the variance I saw with ED E&M alone. And everyone swore they were right! If your job includes ED, happy to send it to you.

Jim S.

Jimbo1231 please send it to me. I want to get a remote position and I run into the issue when taking their test. I have never had this much problem with coding test for a position before. One company say one thing another company say another. It is just frustrating. Thanks

E/M frustration

I have found the same problems. I can't get a straight answer on several areas. I have posted questions on forum with zero response, called AAPC, no help. I have found inconsistencies in the study guide and online practice exam for AAPC. One of my questions concerns when you can count abdomen as GI or extremities as musculo/skeletal. Another is how much info is needed to consider a system in detail for the exam. I am taking the CEMC exam and find this very frustrating as I can not get reasoning on some of these issues. The practice exam book gives you the answers but not much detail. Very frustrating.