Wiki E/m & omt

Best answers
Just a quick question. There seems to be some confusion on billing OMT's during an office visit. I'm a newbie coder, but I thought it was ok to bill both if the visit is not for just that treatment. Say someone comes in for an eval for back pain and the DO decides to OMT 1-2 regions. I believe it would be ok to do the E/M level with a 25 mod due to the fact that they were not coming specifically for the OMT but to be evaluated. Am I wrong? I have researched an article or 2 but I just want to make sure I get the most up to date answer. Thank you! :)

Just a quick question. There seems to be some confusion on billing OMT's during an office visit. I'm a newbie coder, but I thought it was ok to bill both if the visit is not for just that treatment. Say someone comes in for an eval for back pain and the DO decides to OMT 1-2 regions. I believe it would be ok to do the E/M level with a 25 mod due to the fact that they were not coming specifically for the OMT but to be evaluated. Am I wrong? I have researched an article or 2 but I just want to make sure I get the most up to date answer. Thank you! :)

CPT guidelines say that you can bill an E/M on the same date. As long as the OMT wasn't scheduled in advance, and the doctor made the decision to do it during the encounter, then it's okay. Hope that helps! ;)