Wiki E/M for laceration

LuckyLily

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on what E/M level for an emergency department this warrants.

Patient comes in with laceration to hand. It's 2cm, with simple closure using sutures. No meds are given or imaging. No other complications.

Thanks so much

I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on what E/M level for an emergency department this warrants.

Patient comes in with laceration to hand. It's 2cm, with simple closure using sutures. No meds are given or imaging. No other complications.

Thanks so much

Code only the repair. There is no visit level to code for the physician or the facility.

I've looked in the CPT manual and I find this statement,

"Wound closure utilizing adhesive strips as the sole repair material should be coded using the appropriate E/M code."

This statement doesn't include if sutures are used. Am I missing something?

I think I have just figured it out. Found a good article here on AAPC about it.

It would be coded as a simple repair. Per your statement it was a simple closure with sutures. This is exactly what a simple repair is.

So now that I have approached a fellow coworker about E/M and lacerations, they say that since our hospital is a critical access hospital that our way of billing is different. That we are able to do the E/M level with a laceration.

Please give me your thoughts.