Wiki E&M Critical Care and Subsequent Hospital Care

abbyakinleye

Networker
Best answers
I have a Dr. that wants to bill both 99291 & 99233 together on the same day. Is this possible? I checked the edits and it seems okay. Please help!
Thank you

critical care and E/m same day

Abby,

Potentially, this could be done but the documentation would have to clearly support. An example might be : he rounded on the patient earlier in the day and bills his subsequent day, and then later the same day the patient crashes and he returns and bills critical care.

Not only would he need to have impeccable documentation to say something like "this critical care time is separate from the visit earlier today because this patient crashed"

I did have this happen when I was working for a pulmonary group and I always had to send the documentation in, so be prepared to defend by having him document right the first time.

I hope this helps.

Critical Care vs. E/M

Janell,
Hoping you can help me with a critical care question since you worked in pulmonary.

If a pulmonologist manages a patient on a ventilator for 3 days secondary to acute respiratory failure, can critical care 99291 be billed (assuming time limit met) for those 3 days?