Wiki E/M coding

Jilly2774

New
Best answers
I have a question, i hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction. I work in an OBGYN Clinic and i have a doctor who spent 60+ min with an established patient for depression. I want to know if i can charge more than a 99215, which is only 40 minutes. It seems like money lost. Is there another E/M add on code or code i can use with it? Any help greatly appreciated. She wants to charge for the 60 + minutes.

Hello,

First, as I'm sure you already know, we should only bill what is medically necessary (did the provider really need to spend the extra 20+ minutes with the patient?) in order to get correctly paid.
With that said, my first thought goes to Prolonged Care Services. CMS explains this likewise:
"You can only bill the prolonged services codes if the total duration of all physician or qualified NPP direct face-to-face service (including the visit) equals or exceeds the threshold time for the evaluation and management service the physician or qualified NPP provided (typical/average time associated with the CPT E/M code plus 30 minutes)."

This translates into 99215 of a total of 70 minutes (40 minutes from 99215 + 30 minutes to bill 99354). This time must be well-documented as CMS further explains: "You must appropriately and sufficiently document in the medical record that you
personally furnished the direct face-to-face time with the patient specified in the CPT code definitions. Make sure that you document the start and end times of the visit, along with the date of service.
"

If that is not appropriate, be very careful not to unbundle the E/M code (depression screens, etc.), as this often leads coders/providers into trouble.

Hope this is helpful!

Thank you! That is very helpful. Personally i think it should just be the 99215, she didnt need to spend 1 hour with the patient.