Wiki E/M code for removal of sutures

Best answers
We had an established patient return to the clinic to have his sutures removed by the provider who placed them. The provider used the E/M code 99499 for that suture removal; I disagreed on it and thought it should have been 99212. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you,
Lisa

It depends on the procedure that was performed originally. If it has a global then you do not charge for the removal if it has no global then a visit level that matches the documentation a 99211 or a 99212.

mitchellde

I know this is an old post but, my question is: does the fact that there is a global make a difference if the visit for the suture removal is well past the global period has ended? Such as a retained suture removed 6 months later. I would code this as a 99212 with Z48.02 DX and again same provider that performed the original surgery. Thank you for the clarification.

if the visit is past the global then it is billable with a visit level that is supported by the documentation. The dx code is either a complication code for the retained suture or a trauma code. With more information I can only speculate but given what you have stated I do not feel the Z48 code would be correct.