Wiki E&M code for Emergency Department

lorettac

Networker
Best answers
Hello all, I have a question about using the correct E&M for an ER visit.
My physician is a podiatrist who saw a patient at the ER department due to pt's left 2nd toe chronic ulceration. According to the documentation, it was a level 3 visit. And patient was discharge the same day.
I believe I should report this service with POS 23 at Emergency Department, but should I use 99243 (Office consultation as an out-patient consultant) or 99283 (Emergency department visit)? I understand that Medicare does not cover consultation anymore, should I use the ER visit code?

Thank you very much for any advise and recommendation. :)

Ed e/m

Best practice is to use the E/M code that reflects the service provided. A podiatrist who sees a patient in the ED can bill the ED E/M code that is supported by documentation. The POS must reflect the location of the patient. You may run into some payor restrictions (I encountered a Medicaid restriction in an audit), but overall a practitioner doesn't have to be specialized in emergency medicine to bill an ED E/M code.

Best practice is to use the E/M code that reflects the service provided. A podiatrist who sees a patient in the ED can bill the ED E/M code that is supported by documentation. The POS must reflect the location of the patient. You may run into some payor restrictions (I encountered a Medicaid restriction in an audit), but overall a practitioner doesn't have to be specialized in emergency medicine to bill an ED E/M code.

Thank you so much for your reply, it is clear! Thanks again!