Wiki E/M after a scope

Best answers
I recently attended a conference where the instructor advised you can not bill for an E/M visit after a colonoscopy UNLESS there was something found that would initiate treatment.

Our MD's see the patient "pre-scope" but don't bill E/M if it is a screening exam. However, they see every patient back with a "path review" Post-scope, at which time they bill E/M service.

I have not been able to locate documentation stating you can not bill for the E/M enounter after a scope.

If someone has documentation either way to support or deny this please let me know!

thanks!

There are no global days attached to a colonoscopy, which means no follow up care is included in the procedure itself. We have always billed for the E/M service if the patient comes back to the office after the procedure and they are paid by the insurance carriers.

It will interesting if anyone has documentation that says you can't do that.

Could you possibly email the instructor or the company they work for and request they send you the back up information for that statement?

Laura, CPC

I think I will Laura. I searched for literally Hours trying to find some sort of documentation that supports that and had no luck at all. Only the visits before a scope.