Wiki e-Clinicals incorrect code description - HELP!

deeplocica

Best answers
I need confirmation that our software is incorrect. I coded two procedures on a patient. My doctor (an ENT) performed a total lobectomy with isthmusectomy on the patient's left side and a partial lobectomy on the right side. I coded the following:

60220 LT 241.1
60210 RT 241.1

e-Clinicals shows the description of the 60220 as "PARTIAL REMOVAL OF THYROID". Am I crazy or is this totally wrong??? I've checked two different publications and they both describe it as a TOTAL lobectomy. When I questioned the help desk on this, their response was "Diane – we are working on this. Apparently there is a discrepancy between CMS and the AMA and they waiting now on verification". Does Medicare have anything to do with setting code descriptions?? I need backup from my AAPC peers. Responses are greatly appreciated!!

lobectomy

The only backup that you should need is the CPT book description for 60220 which is "Total thyroid lobectomy, unilateral;with or without isthmusectomy"

I know that there are issues with eClinical descriptions for diagnosis codes also.

LeeAnn

Your coding is correct Diane and it's not the CMS or the AMA that is wrong in the prcedural coding it was whoever put the CPT codes in the software program. Sometimes the limiting of full terms in words of a procedural code from CPT to software causes problems. I know this because Office Ally has you put you own terms for procedures in the system as well as diagnosis terms and they limit the amount of words you can use. Like LeeAnn said always reference your CPT I know sometimes modern find it online can be relied on to heavily especially in a fast paced get it done situation by a boss. But checking the book only takes a sec.
Thanks,
Brian Hazel CPC-A