Wiki Dysphagia

gobrnco

Best answers
I have two questions on how to properly code Dysphagia.
1. If a provider documents different phases of Dysphagia, do you code all the phases separately? For example, if provider documents both oral Dysphagia and pharyngeal Dysphagia, would you code two separate codes?? Or do you apply Oropharyngeal Dysphagia code? I can not find an answer that explains why etc.
2. What would you code for Odynophagia (pain with swallowing)? Some people think Dysphagia but some say you can not.
If anyone could clarify these for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Pointing me to any references would also be of great help!

Oral phase dysphagia refers to a problem with moving food from the mouth to the oropharynx. Oropharyngeal phase dysphagia refers to problems with moving food from the oropharynx into the esophagus. So I suppose you could have both phases at the same time? Maybe querying the doctor would be appropriate here.

The only ICD10 code I could find for odynophagia is throat pain and it has excludes 2 with dysphagia, so I suppose you could use it since you don't have to have one to necessarily have the other.