Wiki dx help - Mother has reached complete dilation

kerileigh

Networker
Best answers
Mother has reached complete dilation, but then refuses to push, dr had to perform c-section due to that. How would you code that???

Thanks

Wow, I have never heard of anyone not wanting to push. I have a question reply from the Coding Clinic, First Quarter 2001

Q. This 32 year old gravida 2 para 0 was admitted at term for an elective primary low cesarean section. The patient had a completely normal prenatal course, normal pregnancy, and unremarkable postoperative course. She elected to have a cesarean section because of fear of vaginal delivery. In this case is it appropriate to assign code 650, Normal delivery, although the patient had a surgical delivery?

A. Assign code 669.71, Cesarean delivery, without mention of indication, delivered, with or without mention of antepartum condition, as the principal diagnosis. The "excludes note" under code 650 indicates that a cesarean delivery without mention of complication should not be coded here. Code V27.0, Outcome of delivery, Single liveborn, should be assigned as an additional diagnosis. Assign code 74.1, Low cervical cesarean section, for the procedure performed.

I hope this helps

Last edited:
Keri, could you please post the complete operative notes, the physician diagnosis and the Physician documented indication for cesarean section?
Thank you .