Wiki DX codes for liver cancer 155.0 & 155.1

JTE79

Contributor
Best answers
If the patient has been diagnosed with Intrahepatic bile duct cancer 155.1 does this include the liver? Or would it be coded with mets to the liver 197.7 also?
155.1 alone or 155.1, 197.7

Yes, I understand it is in the ducts but, is it mets to the liver if it has spread to the liver or is the liver included with this code? I say mets to the liver. A colleague disagrees that the liver is included with 155.1.

Yes, I understand it is in the ducts but, is it mets to the liver if it has spread to the liver or is the liver included with this code? I say mets to the liver. A colleague disagrees that the liver is included with 155.1.

It is just intrahepatic bile duct. There is nothing in that statement regarding mets to the liver itself or having spread to the liver so no do not code a mets code just the 155.1 with the way you have it stated.

If the provider only wrote the Intrahepatic bile duct without mention of mets you can only code the duct.

You can't assume.

I believe to be misunderstood in my question. If the path report states intrahepactic bile ducts with mets to the liver my colleague is stating that only code needed is 155.1. I disagree and would code 155.1 with the met code of 197.7. She is stating that it is unnecessary as the liver is included in 155.1.

I believe to be misunderstood in my question. If the path report states intrahepactic bile ducts with mets to the liver my colleague is stating that only code needed is 155.1. I disagree and would code 155.1 with the met code of 197.7. She is stating that it is unnecessary as the liver is included in 155.1.

This is different than what was originally stated so yes stated this way you code the 155.1 and the 197.7. The liver mets is not inclusive to the primary site of the bile duct