Wiki Dural Repair

jbartran

New
Best answers
:) I am wondering how you would code a dural repair requiring partial vertebral corpectomies. Any input on this will be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Need more info.

Can you post the op-note?
What I'm finding are codes for a dural repair, but they're with and without laminectomy. If that's not applicable you may just have to use the corpectomy codes.

I am unable to post the op note.

He is at C4-5... he states partial vertebral corpectomy at C4 was carried out directly backwards to the spinal canal. The dura was encountered and found to be inflated. There was a very small, perhaps half a millimeter opening at the junction of the C4 vertebral body and the dura.

Any input you have will be great.

I would go with 63081 - if this was done w/ an anterior approach, or whichever corpectomy code is appropriate according to the op-note. also I was thinking 63707 for the repair of the dura, but there was not enough info in what you posted, and there is a CCI edit, it appears that repair of the dural space is included in the corpectomy codes

I agree that their is not enough information to tell you what to bill, but to bill for a corpectomy at all you have to dictate that 1/2 of the vertebral body was removed for cervical, 1/3 for lumbar. If amount of vertebral body removed is not documented, this is a discectomy. You can not bill for repair of the dura, if the dr tears it while doing the surgery, he is supposed to repair it.